If you have been thinking about opening a company in Slovenia, you probably also thought about the responsibilities of the owner of the company. In this article, we will be explaining who can be an owner of the company, what his responsibilities are and how he can obtain a work and residence permit for Slovenia.
Owner of a company – what is a LTD company?
If you want to do business in Europe as a non-EU citizen, you can open an LTD company. An LTD company is a private company limited by shares. It has to have at least one shareholder and at least one representative. The minimal founding capital in the LTD is 7.500€ and the company is responsible for business conduct in that amount.
The owner of the company is the shareholder in the company. An owner ensures the company’s founding capital when registering the company. The representative in the company is a person responsible for business conduct of the company – signing contracts, managing the financial aspect of the company etc.
Who can be an owner of an LTD company?
An owner of the LTD company can be an EU citizen or also a non-EU citizen. The person has to be older than 18 years. Before registering the company, the owner has to obtain a Slovenian tax number.
An owner cannot be a person who:
- was convicted of a crime against economy and has a criminal record in Slovenia issued by the Slovenian Ministry of Justice,
- has been listed in public records for not submitting tax reports for the last 12 months,
- is a 25% owner of a company that did not submit tax reports in the last 12 months,
- received a fine by the Slovenian Labor Inspection for undeclared work at least twice in the last 3 years,
- was at least 50% owner of a company that got erased from the business registry of Slovenia without liquidation.
You also cannot become an owner of the company, if you already opened an LTD company in the last 3 months.
Does owning a company give you immediate right to apply for work and residence permit?
If you are a citizen of a country, which is not part of the EU, you need work and residence permit in order to work in your company and live in Slovenia. Just by being an owner of the company, you do not get immediate right for business immigration.
You can apply for work and residence permit if your company fulfills one of the following conditions – your company can either:
- invest 50.000€ into fixed assets of the company within the first 6 months from company registration,
- or employ an EU citizen for a period of at least 6 months on a full work day (for example a Slovenian citizen),
- or show company turnover at least 10.000€ each month for 6 consecutive months.
There is also the possibility to obtain work and residence permit if you have a university degree. In that case the company does not have to fulfill one of the above-mentioned conditions.
Establish a company with the support of company Data!
If you have decided to do business in Slovenia, Data will be happy to offer full support in the process.
We can help you to obtain the Slovenian tax number for all owners and representatives.
You can also register the company at our VEM/SPOT point free of charge, as we have governmental concession to register companies at our office.
We have our own legal department that can help you to understand the responsibilities of an owner of the company. They can also draft contracts for your company.
We also offer accountancy services and tax consultation.
If your company does not have a business address, we can provide services of virtual office.
For more information on company registration in Slovenia, EU, you can write to our email [email protected]. You can also contact us over the phone 00386 1 6006 270 or 00386 40 530 718 (Viber, WhatsApp). You can also follow us on Facebook.