The possibilities of VAT deduction are very important for entrepreneurs who do business in Europe. VAT deduction is the right of VAT payers that have a valid ID number for VAT. Sometimes entrepreneurs are not quite clear when the deduction is possible and when impossible.
Do you want to start a business in Slovenia? Are you also having trouble understanding what is best for the success of your business? Apply for our free webinar on company registration and business immigration!
Call our experts on +386 1 6006 270, Viber/Whatsapp +386 40 530 718 or write to us on email@example.com
Data d.o.o. has been offering support to foreign citizens with their business in Europe. In addition to company registration services, we also provide professional accounting services. Additionally, we also have a specialized legal department that supports business owners with every aspect of business Slovenian legislation. You can also follow us on Facebook.
What does VAT deduction mean?
VAT means value added tax. VAT deduction means that the company can decrease its tax obligation to pay VAT for the VAT amount that they already paid or the suppliers in Slovenia have charged them. The VAT payer can deduct the VAT if they fulfill all of the following conditions:
- an obligation to calculate VAT has arisen,
- you have an invoice or other relevant document,
- the goods or services on which VAT has been charged have been used for transactions that are a subject of VAT or those which give rise to a right to deduct VAT (e.g. if a company is engaged in an insurance business, it is exempt from VAT and therefore has no right for the deduction).
Are you considering opening a company in Slovenia and buying real estate? Apply for our free webinar on this topic here:
When is VAT deduction not possible?
What are the restrictions and prohibitions on VAT deduction? In certain cases, you cannot calculate or take into account the paid VAT of suppliers in order to decrease your liability to pay your calculated VAT.
VAT deduction with VAT payers is not possible in the following cases:
- for vessels and vehicles, unless you procure them for resale or for hire / rental, driving lessons, transport of goods or passengers ,
- fuels, lubricants and spare parts and services related to vessels and vehicles referred to in the previous point,
- entertainment of business partners (business lunch, etc.),
- food and drink and accommodation.
However, there may be a subsequent change in the purpose of use of the goods or services, or a change in the activity of the taxpayer. In this case, the VAT deduction must be adjusted (increased or decreased) accordingly. We also know the partial deduction of VAT. Taxpayers who carry out both a taxable activity and an exempt activity are entitled to the latter.
Are you wondering what are the most popular business activities in Slovenia? Apply for our free webinar where we will discuss this topic and the conditions for these businesses:
Start a business in Slovenia and offer your services in the EU! DATA can offer full support!
The first step to start a business in Slovenia is to register a company here. Non-EU citizens can register an LTD company in Slovenia with 7500€ share capital. Do not miss the unique opportunity to learn about VAT deduction, company registration and business immigration to Slovenia. DATA can offer you full support in the consultation and the company registration. Also, you can contact us for more information. Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call us on +386 1 6006 270, Viber/Whatsapp +386 40 530 718 or skype data.business7.