Slovenian Constitution in Article 68 says “that foreigner can get ownership rights for real estate under conditions provided by law or a treaty ratified by the National Assembly”.
Since Slovenia entered EU in 2004, EU citizens may buy properties or real estates in Slovenia without restrictions. But one important rule has to be fulfilled – foreigners can buy property since February 2003, only on a reciprocal basis. This means if a Slovenian citizen can inherit real estate in specific foreign country, a citizen of such country can inherit real estate in Slovenia. This right is based on Article 6 of the Inheritance Act in combination with Article 68 of the Constitution.
Can foreigners buy real estates in Slovenia?
So the answer to the question in the title varies depending on what nationality is the buyer who wants to buy a property in Slovenia:
- Members of the EU are allowed to purchase properties under the same conditions as Slovenian citizens.
- Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway were granted the right to purchase properties without restrictions in the European Economic Areas Agreement
- US citizens may purchase without restrictions due to the Treaty on Trade and Navigation
- Switzerland may purchase real estate only if the buyers possess a valid Permit C, or permanent settlement permit.
- EU candidate countries may submit an application to the Ministry of Justice to request permission to purchase property in Slovenia
- Other countries may acquire property in Slovenia only if they have a business registered in Slovenia, obtain Slovenian citizenship through marriage, or obtain property through inheritance, provided the condition of reciprocity is met.
The best option that third country citizens buy real estate is Slovenia to register a company. We can register a company for you free of charge.
Slovenia is beautiful, save and business friendly country to live and work. We can help you also to find suitable property, apartment or house for you to buy or rent.
For all additional informations and explanations regarding real estates, company registration, business in Slovenia, accounting services and tax or accounting consulting we are available by phone +386 (0) 1 6006 270, Viber/WhatsApp: +386 40 530 718 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are also invite you to visit us in our office at Dunajska cesta 136, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia. You can also follow us on Facebook.